Dyed Baby’s Breath x Flower Crown

Got hooked onto Pinterest about a year ago, and created a secret board for wedding inspirations. Most of the images which I pinned initially were of wedding dresses and make-up. But as the wedding date drew closer, I started to take an interest in DIY tutorials, though I didn’t think I would have much time for DIY then.

So with the time that I had to plan the wedding, I decided to put in some effort to DIY some aspects of our wedding. The rule of thumb was these items should either be meaningful to us as a couple, and/ or should find themselves in our future home.

My first DIY project was this flower crown for our flower girls which didn’t really fit within the above principle. But I came across this tutorial on Pinterest and I could just imagine them on my flower girls, so I had to try it out!

Materials
Materials – floral wire, floral tape, & baby’s breath
IMG_1583
Mini-bouquets of baby’s breath
Attempt #1
Attempt #1

Thought my first attempt didn’t look too shabby (basically followed the tutorial to a tee), but the crown looked a bit dense and may overwhelm my petite flower girls.

So for my second attempt – I managed to successfully dye some baby’s breath using food dye, which turned out really easy. Basically followed the ratio of 6:1 of water to food dye and left them overnight in a vase.

2014-10-01 15.54.03
Dyeing in progress – a chaotic mess!

Using both blue and white baby’s breath this time, I didn’t bother with making mini bouquets, and setting them aside to stick them to the floral wire after like I did earlier. Instead, I took about 2 mini-stalks of blue and white each, and would combine them together to wrap them around the floral wire using floral tape, and stuck them straight to the floral wire.  Found this to be much faster, and the crown looked more ethereal than before.

IMG_1594
Gave me approximately 2-3 mini-bouquets which I stuck straight to the floral wire

Being the typical OCD I was in these things, I snipped off jutting out strands like the one below.

IMG_1597
Optional: trim the jutting-out strands

And I also upgraded the crown with a ribbon! But this is completely optional as the crown would stay in shape anyway.

IMG_1606
Attempt #2

I also made my bridesmaids a wrist corsage each using the same method (even though I regret how shabbily done they were due to time constraints).

First DIY project a success, I would say, especially for someone as amateur at crafting like myself!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s